Which is better?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jacobm, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jacobm

Jacobm New Member

Hi, I can't decide whether it's better to buy the audio technica ath ad500 with the fiio e5 headphone amplifier or just the audio technica ath m50 on their own. I'm kinda new to headphones and have only previously had the Sennheiser hd 201 so if there are any other decent headphones round about this price that you recommend then it would be helpful! Thanks :)

2. marcusd

marcusd Member

IMHO I would opt for the M50 first over the AD500. The M50 is a much more agile performer and has instant portable likability with its classic v-shape frequency response. Of course you got to like your bass and treble as the mids are slightly recessed but if your into Dance, House, R&B, rock etc or anything with a hardy good bass then that is the best can for you.

The overall tonality is actually quite neutral with great bass which gives you a bit more flexibility in your genre choices.

The AD500 is a larger open back headphone and the bass is much weaker than the closed m50. Using an E5 is not going to give you great bass if the headphone is not naturally inclined to give you that in the first place. It will though help in some respects. The ad500 will excel in jazz and vocals and will be very nimble compared to the M50 in the mids and uppers though if that is your genre preference.

You honestly dont need an amp for the M50 but at least you can add at a later stage if you want to explore. Apparently the 500 clamp is kind of Spanish Inquisition level on your head :)

In short go for the M50 for oomph on the go or the e5 and ad500 for indoors laid back clarity.

3. Jacobm

Jacobm New Member

Thanks, what does the amplifier even do to the headphones? And so I should go for the m50's? It sounds like a plan;) I'll maybe add in the amplifier later on like you said!
    Thanks again :)

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Amps

Here's something I found to be true most of the time (not always, but most of the time):

You play the M50 on your music player or laptop etc., get used to that, then plug in the amp and try it out. Maybe at first you'll notice the difference and say "Hey - that's better", or maybe it will be more subtle and you'll have to listen for awhile to appreciate the extra details in areas where the amp improves things.

But it's when you've listened with the amp for a few hours and then go back to just running the M50 off the laptop or music player - that's when you say "Whoa - what a difference". So you just have to try it.