Which replacement headphones.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by stec, Mar 5, 2011.

1. stec

stec New Member

Hi I wonder if you can help me decide which open or closed headphones to get as a replacement for my Creative HQ-1500D Headphones which came with a small dolby/dts decoder. I mostly use them for watching movies through the decoder giving me a surround sound feel, I was ideally looking at spending around £50 but would consider going to a £100 if it increased the quality by a large amount and not just a small amount. Leaking noise is not a problem so I read that open headphones are better than closed headphones for watching movies is this true?
    The ones I have been considering are sennheiser HD 205 at £40, or the Audio Technica ATH-AD300 at £50. Or if there was a good enough improvement in quality (remembering that its going through the decoder) to justify the price, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 at £110.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Stec

I have never heard these Creative HQ-1500D headphones before and I cannot find any reviews to tell me what they are like, I think that is a first! They look OK for the pricebut I am flying a bit blind on my recommendation. I'm taking it that they are not great otherwise you would be a bit more glowing about them - they do however look comfy and competently built.

Open Back headphones give a greater feeling of space and a more vivid feeling of reality. They tend to sound more holographic than Closed Back headphones and I find when watching films they cause me to look around the room every now and then - I assume the noise of the actors moving around is my girlfriend pottering around the living room - but I find I am spookily alone:)

The Audio Technica AD300 and AD700 are great choices as they work really well for films and music. There is a big difference in quality of sound and although I would be surprised if the AD300 were not a big improvement the AD700 are shockingly good value for money and easily justifiable as they should last 10 years if looked after.

Hope that helps!

3. stec

stec New Member

Thanks for the reply, and I have decided to go for the AD 700s, My HQ creative headphones were as I remember around £60 but I think a lot of that money was because of the decoder, and I was happy with them until they broke. But I have now decided to treat myself to a decent pair to go with my blu-ray player, and watch movies in surround sound or as close to it as I can. Then again I am saying i will go for the AD 700`s but I have now seen the Beyerdynamic DT860 Headphones at £150 but they are closed backs and my wife would go berserk if she found out I had spent that much.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The DT860 is Open Backed (DT660 is closed back) and are a good equivalent to the AD700. How mad your wife gets is I'm afraid completely beyond my control!:D I think we have all been there - I wait until I've seen a few pairs of shoes I don't recognise and maybe a new bag before I spring a purchase on my lady.