Which Sennheiser IEMs ?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Steve66, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Steve66

Steve66 New Member

Hello All.
    I've been a headphone user for years (always Sennheiser for some reason)
    The time has come to finally give in & buy some IEMs.

I use a PURE digital radio & a 5th generation IPod. I do lots of walking (lost three stone in the last year) listening to all sorts of music (dance, electro, rap, rock etc - i like a bit of bass)

I replaced the provided phones with Sennheiser PX100s (brilliant bass) then Sennheiser PX200s (not so good for some reason)

I have been pondering the Sennheiser IE6, 7 & 8s. Has anyone got any opinions on these please ?

I have never got on with 'in-ear' phones before (never seem to stay in place), do the 'over the ear' ones fit any better & can you wear them with glasses ?

Sorry for the long post.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Steve,

Over the ear fit comes from Performers in ear monitors which have to stay in place no matter what. There are several things you can do to get the best possible fit.

Over the ears fit is excellent at keeping them still and stopping microphonic cable noise. To get a better fit in the ear Comply tips or even custom made sleeves shaped exactly to your own ear can be purchased.

Sennheisers IE range are warm but exciting, trebles are a little recessed and bass is big and brash but the all over effect is quite relaxed with plenty of detail - they suit contemporary music best so if you are a classical buff or have very particular tastes let me know and I can suggest something more relevant. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Steve66

Steve66 New Member

Sennheiser IEMs

Hi Robin

Thanks for the info.

I listen to all sorts of stuff ranging from 80s electro up to Dubstep today. I don't listen to classical music so the Sennheisers sound perfect.

Is there much difference between the IE7 & the IE8 ? Are you aware of any issues regarding the manual bass tuning on the IE8 ?

Thanks Again.

4. RobinHiFi

At the very beginning there were some issues, not for a long time. Many say they are no use as you can dial in far too much bass - but isn't that the point if that is what you want? Most people leave the Bass tuners as factory setting.

5. Steve66

Steve66 New Member

Sennheiser IEMs

Thanks Robin.
    Still torn between the IE7 & 8s, order will be winging its way shortly.

6. burton

burton New Member

I couldn't get along with the IE8's in terms of fit etc, but the sound was very good!!

I don't have mine any more, maybe I should of tried different buds but I didn't like the over the ear fitment!

7. RobinHiFi

The fit of headphones is really individual - I remember when I bought the first iPod, it was only when I tried to listen to the little white horror buds that I realised my ears are missing the bump that they sit behind and there is no way to keep them in unless I hold them:)

Plenty find the over the ear fit is not for them, others (myself and my slightly funny ears included) find it the most practical and comfortable approach.

8. burton

burton New Member

Yes indeed I hated the older style of ear phones, just wouldn't stay or just hurt my ear's after awhile.

I think the IE8's I just felt they were going to fall out and I couldn't get a proper seal. I guess its true that everyone is different.

9. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Sennheiser IEM

I have a pair of the IE8s and loved them initially. Over time I've liked them less because of their pronounced bass response. After listening more often to IEMs using balanced armature drivers (e.g. Phonak Audeo PFE) I think I've become a little more interested in hearing detail, rather than powerful bass response.

An alternative to the Sennheiser IE8 that has more detail (at a similar price point) is the Westone UM2. Well worth doing some research on this really very impressive earphone. They're definitely not lacking in bass! Also the UM2 has a better fit in the ear than the IE8 - thanks to the long Comply Foam tips and an angled sound tube.

10. Steve66

Steve66 New Member

Sennheiser IE8

Thanks for the advice everybody.
    Not sure what to do now.
    I'm a motorcyclist & had to have custom made earplugs made as normal ones would not stay in place.
    Maybe 'in-ear' is not for me.