Which wireless headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by seagull, Nov 12, 2012.

1. seagull

seagull New Member

Newbie here! Am a 76 year old who can only hear conversation when it is directed straight at me - totally lost trying to hear conversations in noisy surroundings/parties or low volume on the TV (main object to be rectified!). Am thinking that headphones and audio directly to my ear will help me enjoy my TV again. Have considered Sennheiser RS120's; am I wasting money on the RS 180's? My hearing in both ears drops to medium/severe loss above 3kHz. Any suggestions please?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Seagull

Considering it sounds like you have quite big difficulties with your hearing it may not be worth spending the extra on an RS180 as the RS120 are really impressive.

I will offer a bit of general advice here but I will also say that you are welcome to give us a call for any help you need to get up and running. Hopefully your TV will be very easy to connect headphones to but this is not always the case. Feel free to get some friendly advice with how to connect them if it isn't immediately obvious - there is always a way.

The RS180 do have a couple of features which may make them a better choice. Whilst the RS120 is great the RS180 is clearer sounding and also has a left, right balance control - this would obviously help anyone who has uneven hearing loss left and right.

If you have a new TV without analogue RCA/Phono outputs you can use a Fiio D3 and an optical cable to get sound to your headphones.

If your hearing loss is pretty even I would probably go for the RS120 which are very clear sounding compared to the majority of wireless headphones. They also have a really great range so you can keep listening to the news or football while you go make a cup of tea!:)

3. seagull

seagull New Member

Many thanks RobinHifi. I took your advice and have received the RS 120 - II ordered through yourselves. They are excellent and I am enjoying TV dramas much more now that I can hear all the speech. My wife is much happier as well as I do not have to interrupt her own listening by asking who said what!

I would advise anyone else out there reading this, who is undecided on what to do about headphones, to speak to these folk at Hifi Headphones; they are extremely helpful and give their advice freely. Normally one might seek advice and then purchase elsewhere but these guys are so helpful I did not have the nerve to do that for the few extra pounds I could save! I also recently purchased an LG Smart TV which will only allow me to listen via headphones or the TV speakers - my wife would not have been too happy if I had the headphones plugged in! Yet again these folk got me over this problem.

If you have any doubts just give them a ring - excellent service.