Will a lowend portable amp boost the sound quality of my noise cancelling headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by simpleme, Mar 13, 2013.

1. simpleme

simpleme New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi All,

First off, I am not an audiophile. I like good music and I fly a lot. Therefore I decided to buy headphones with active NC (I have done my research and know I sacrifice some sounds quality for the NC). So I have bought the ATHC-AND7b (price/quality better than the bose QC imho). The headphones sound really good in active mode, yet I would like to use them in passive mode sometimes as well for various reasons (traffic safety, interference, etcc..).

While they do work in passive mode, the sound quality is not as good as in active mode. My question now is wheather or not a low-end amp like the fiio E05 would boost the quality of these headphones in passive mode.

Thank you in advance
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    No, not at all.
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    The likely thing is that an external amp will not make the headphones sound better than the specially designed one which is part of the noise cancelling circuitry. If it did the manufacturer should hang their head in shame as there specially designed one should outperform a general flattish EQ amp. If volume was a problem in passive mode and you think you might run out of batteries a little Fiio E06 might be worth investing in.

FiiO E06 Fujiyama Portable Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-06)