Will Koss Porta Pro or Sennheiser HD 202 be better than my Sony MDR-XB300s?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by snowathlete, Dec 16, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Im new and this is my first post. Im thinking of buying some new headphones. I currently have some Sony MDR-XB300s which are okay, but the vinyl is coming off the pads and they dont appear to be replaceable. That said, the foam underneath is still there, so many I can last them out a little longer...

If i get a new pair then im considering either some Koss Porta Pros or Sennheiser HD 202s. The main question first is whether it is worth me getting either. Are either deliver noticably better quality sound?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Snowathlete

At this price point it all depends what you are looking for. The cans you have now are bass heavy with an unfocussed top end and badly scooped mids, technically not great but someone could love that sound. The Porta Pros are the better of the two you have mentioned if you want a more hifi sound, surprisingly they are quite Hifi at this price. Another to look at would be the iGrado. These suggestions are based on getting a "technically better" sound, please feel free to reveal your likes and dislikes if you would like a more personalised suggestion.:)