Willing to spend (almost) anything on good Canalphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by buel, Aug 5, 2012.

1. buel

buel New Member

Hello,
    Im a newbie so please go steady with me. :0)

Ok, im a Welder by trade and i like nothing better than to listen to my mp3 player. I spent £17 on some canalphones recently and even though they are ok, i do struggle to hear spoken word audio with the background noise that you would expect from a factory environment.

Please can i ask would this be down to the quality of the earphones (or lack of quality) and, if so, what canalphones should i buy? This may sound ridiculous but ideally they would have to be blue (a long story).

Thank you in advance- B

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Someone else will have to answer tomorrow with suggestions of make and model, but in the meantime, a question: Do you really want to block all outside sound as much as possible - it just seems like there might be safety issues with that?

3. buel

buel New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    Yes i do want to block all outside noise. To cut a long story short- any potential safety issues do not exist.
    Plus, i never have the audio loud, i would just like to actually hear the spoken word, not just the vague idea.

If i just press my current canalphones in ever so slightly, the sound is perfect....but then i let go of them and the outside noise returns.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Alright - that's good info for the people who know this type of earphone and the isolation issues. There are some of these available in different colors, and it might be possible to use something like that and add Comply etc. eartips that can help with isolation and fit. Stay tuned.

5. buel

buel New Member

Hi,
    Can anyone offer some advice please?

6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Just Tried the Seriously impressive Earsonics SM3 - This might be my new favourite standard IEM! We will have these in stock very soon. If you call you might even be able to get them before the web page goes up!

About time someone duffed up the SE535 and the Westone UM3X and westone 4. I really like all of these but I reckon the Earsonics might just have it.

If you aren't bothered about budget then the PFE 232 is pretty superb too - especially if you like a strong bottom end.

7. buel

buel New Member

Jeeez!
    I was willing to spend a bit but i had no idea any came in at that price!

8. buel

buel New Member

So can anyone please give me any tips as to what sort of canalphones i need?

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's the list I would start with. The Soundmagic in blue would be good I think, and then you could add some new tips to optimize the fit. Going up in price would increase musical fidelity, but since you're mainly after spoken word these should work fine.
    In Ear Headphones - Ear Canal In Ear Monitor Headphones (IEM)

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

11. buel

buel New Member

Absolutely Brilliant!!!
    Thank you so much!!