Wireless Bluetooth lip-sync problems

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tim123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tim123

Tim123 New Member

Hi

I've recently tried using my Plantronics P590 Bluetooth headset for listening to TV and noticed that the sound is delayed a bit, just enough to make lip-sync annoying. I assume this is due to the processing delays in the transmitter/receiver etc. It's not a problem when I use them on the phone or listening to music because there's no picture to be out of sync with.

My question is this: Presumably FM wireless headphones don't have this problem as they're just an straight analog system. What about the Kleer 2.4GHz Wireless technology as used on the Sennheiser RS170 ? Does anyone know if that has the same issue ?

Thanks in advance

2. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Hi, I can only answer your question in respect of FM wireless headphones and from my experience no they don't have this problem.

Hopefully another member can advise regarding the Sennheiser RS170.

Kelvin

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Wireless bluetooth headphone lip-sync problems

Yes, indeed. Analogue FM wireless headphones don't suffer from any kind of latency that causes lip-sync problems.

Bluetooth headphones seem to suffer pretty badly from latency, which means there is normally a noticeable delay.

Kleer audio based headphones do also add some latency, which depends on the way the particular headphone manufacturer has implemented it in their design. According to a Kleer white paper (www.kleer.com/newsevents/documents/Kleer_AudioQuality_WP.pdf) the latency can be tuned between 45 msec and 100 msec.

I've just been looking at the spec for the Sennheiser RS160, RS170 and RS180 and I'm afraid they don't say what the latency has been set at on these headphones.

4. Tim123

Tim123 New Member

Thanks both of you for the comprehensive info. It's pretty much what I expected but good to have it confirmed.