Wireless Over-ear Headphone Upgrade

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tmanic, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Tmanic

Tmanic New Member

Hi - I found this forum whilst researching to upgrade from my Sennheiser RDR170 and RDR140 H/phones. I am partially deaf so I use these H/phones whilst watching TV. I already have an external DAC for my TV. With my current H/phones I still have difficulty hearing speech when there is a lot of loud background in films or TV Drama.
    I have found the following during my research:
    Senneiser 220, Sound Magic WP10 and Parrot Zik.
    Will any of these help with my problem above. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Probably the most important thing is to EQ your sound so that voices come forward to just the right extent. I have simple EQ apps on my computer and my phone that make the job fairly easy. Most of the dramatic presentations on TV today utilize a wide dynamic range, which can add to the problem. i.e. when voices get soft, then the background sound suddenly gets very loud and if you have the volume up, you get blasted. Other than getting a volume compressor, EQ experimenting will help.

3. Tmanic

Tmanic New Member

Thank you for your advice. I'm afraid that I don't understand what EQ means. I use my H/phones connected to my TV. I will Google EQ to see what this means and how to go about achieving this.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's the list of what's available at this site. The thing is, to get EQ you would need some kind of tone controls in the headphone gear, or insert an amplifier in between the headphone and the TV. There are a couple people here who know how these wireless headphones work (I don't) so I'll see if someone can weigh in.

Wireless Headphones and Cordless Earphones - Sennheiser

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

There are wireless headphones designed people who are hard of hearing, Sennheiser do very good ones - SET-840 - And there is another model - TV EARS.

Both very good at focusing in on speech.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014