Wireless, TOSLINK, closed, circumaural--does this exist?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by BobHerzen, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BobHerzen

BobHerzen New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a set of wireless headphones to use in my gym, which is quite noisy, as they pump out their loud and hideous own music on the PA system. I need the headphone base unit to accept a TOSLINK digital optical input, because the TV monitors only have TOSLINK outputs (no headphone jack, no RCA output) and I want to be able to follow the TV sometimes. The club floor is fairly big, so I'd want a minimum range of about 50m. I assume the best solution would be headphones that are closed and circumaural (around the entire ear for maximum sound isolation), or perhaps noise reduction (though my sense is that sound quality would not be as good), but I haven't seen any headphones that exist with the following combination:

Wireless
    TOSLINK optical audio input
    min. 50m range
    either closed, circumaural or noise reduction

The following come close, but lack one element:
    Sony MDRDS6500 are closed, but supra-aural—on top of (rather than around and completely covering) the ear—so probably not the best sound isolation.
    Sennheiser RS 170 are closed, circumaural, but no optical input.
    Sennheiser RS 180 have optical input, circumaural, but are open design, which I assume means ambient noise will leak in.

Thanks for your help. -Bob.

2. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi Bob,

I hope the Sony's turn out be fine for your requirements. :) If you have any questions please just post it here or just send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator