Yes another what headphone should i get !

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by sparky121, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sparky121

sparky121 New Member

Have got a couple of in ear headphones and looking to get my first set of on ear have kind of narrowed it down to but not exclusively these ones:

AKG 451 or Audio Technica ATH-ws55 or Klipsch Image one

any one got any experience with these or any recommendations music taste is varied and will be be mostly used on Ipod or laptop

Thanks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Ha ha! Not a problem!

I am inclined to suggest the AKG 451 as it has strong bottom end but retains a better balance within the sound giving some air to material which doesn't require heavy bass. Audio Technica ATH-ws55 has larger bass which is a little overbearing but like the Klipsch Image one is suited to Bass heavy electronic pop, Hip Hop, Dubstep and many other genres which drive from the bottom and suit slightly recessed mids.

3. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Lukin4DecentHedfones New Member

Portable Headphones

Hi mate

I am looking for some small headphones aswell and heres a few i have tried,
    Koss PortaPro
    Sennheiser PX100-II
    Sennheiser HD238
    Sennheiser HD25-1
    Audio Technica ESW-9
    Bowers & Wilkins P5
    Beyerdynamic DT1350

These are a few and i would say the little Koss's have a great sound for the price, but build quality is not top knotch !

Ive not tried the AKG K451 yet but im sure as robin say they are a great set of headphones.

Thanks
    Ash

4. RobinHiFi

Hi Ash

I agree that the Porta Pro are ridiculously good value for money! If a budget doesn't stretch far beyond this price these are about as good as it gets at such a low price point.

This is a great list for anyone to research if you are looking for a small portable pair of headphones. I would add the lovely new Momentum to the end of the list, the build quality is truly excellent, so comfy with the worlds best leather on the cups. They aren't the last word in Hifi sound but have a sound which is not in the least fatiguing, perfect for portable use across a wide array of genres.

5. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Hi Robin

I've not tried the senns momentum before ! Infact I am going to visit your shop first weekend in feb and want to try out your demo room, I am trying to gather a list I want to try out so I can book it. I'm excited lol !
    That's another on my list. (momentum)

Thanks
    Ash

6. Lukin4DecentHedfones

P.s it's a 3 hour drive for me !!!! But it's worth it !!!

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Senn PX series and HD238 don't belong on that list with the others I don't think since they're really lo-fi headphones. I haven't heard the Koss, although my prior long experience with Koss tells me they're probably somewhere between lo-fi and mid-fi. The ESW9 and P5 are comparable and in the same quality league as the Amperior (the better HD25), and the DT1350 should be too, but the 1350 is a special case of "maybe not" because I've purchased 2 sets, and while each functioned differently, both were unable to achieve their potential because of the fit.

My wife dumped her P5 after a year, in favor of the ESW9a, which I feel is much better and $100 USD cheaper. But since you already listed 2 headphones that sell for $300 in the U.S., then Robin's suggestion of adding the comparably-priced Momentum is the best suggestion of all. There's an old, old saying : He who has an ear, let him hear. And you simply must experience the Momentum. I use it every day.

8. RobinHiFi

I'm not a fan of the PX-100 but there are a surprising number of people who love them. I think this is mainly because of how small they fold and that grey import ones are normally available for rock bottom prices. The P5 is in a similar situation except it tends to be B&W fans who love the looks of the headphone. I think they look better than they sound and the price puts me off too. I don't really care what I look like wearing headphones as I'm in my own little world when listening to music and certainly not a fashionista:)

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

My wife has the PX100ii, the P5, and the ESW9a. She used the PX100ii exclusively before getting the P5, and I also used the 100 for some time before upgrading, so they have proven themselves over time. But the problem with the PX100/200ii series (the much better 'ii' versions of course) is that they are now priced well above the quality they offer, both physically and sonically, and there are much better options at that price point.

10. RobinHiFi

I agree. Do you have weird magazines for old folks which tell them what to buy in the States? I think one of these magazines suggests the PX series in the UK as I never see them suggested or reviewed anywhere anymore but they are still popular!?! Maybe it's just because they look like reading glasses when folded?

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I think the older generation on this side of the pond see mostly the Bose NC headphones in their New Yorker or Atlantic mags, or Skymall while flying. Then of course they are bombarded with Beats at the Apple store and from the kiddies. But while the PX series were heavily featured in magazines aboard flights about 8 to 10 years ago, those have all pretty well disappeared. The Parrot Zik gets a lot of mention as well.

The PX200ii got a boost from about 6 to 12 months ago when J&R and/or B&H got a large shipment of white ones they sold for $50 USD retail, and I bought a few of those for gifts.

12. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Hi dale

I was just quoting a few i have tried, I should have gone into more detail on the HD238s and the rest. I was giving a lo to mid fi range, but if you have not heard the koss's then its worth the money just to chuck in the bag for a weekend.

Thanks
    Ash

13. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

No Koss for me, thanks. Owned at least 50, all defective.